From: Sam Jorna <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 02:56:29
1 On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 10:44:58PM -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 10:28:31 +1000
3 > Sam Jorna <wraeth@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Wouldn't it make more sense to make Gentoo *more* attractive to run in
6 > > corporate environments, rather than simply saying "We're not RHEL so
7 > > why bother"?
8 >
9 > No disagreement. That has always been my interest. Though has not been
10 > others. It was in part why I became a trustee. For things like vendor
11 > certified hardware, looking into certifications, events, and a whole
12 > lot more. But people rather lambast, insult, and stand in the way rather
13 > than either get out of the way or work with me.
14 >
15 > It surely could happen without me but has not. I am definitely not
16 > against such happening. But it would require tremendous change and
17 > leadership. Which I do not see ever changing. I wish things were
18 > otherwise.
19 >
20 > > People do use Gentoo in production environments, both personally and
21 > > professionally, even if it is those that have more investment in doing
22 > > so than the average IT Joe. By removing stable, we would be reducing
23 > > the potential arguments for the few who do want to use Gentoo in that
24 > > sort of environment. We would be becoming more of a niche distro.
25 >
26 > Preaching to the choir. That is not why companies I know who ran Gentoo
27 > are leaving or left. One told me they did not want to be in the
28 > operating system business. Stable or not, there are fewer companies
29 > running Gentoo that were before. Due to other reasons that are not
30 > changing, culture, etc.
31 >
32 > Companies that run it today I doubt would change if stable went away.
33 > If they left Gentoo, they have many reasons far beyond lack of a stable
34 > branch/tree.
35 >
36 > > "Hey, lets try Gentoo - it's really configurable."
37 > > "What's their stable policy? How often does it break?"
38 > > "Stable? What's that?"
39 >
40 > How about no foundation. Not even a legal entity. No certifications
41 > from vendors, nor for employees. No one to hire for official support.
42 > There are so many things far beyond anything having to do with a stable
43 > tree or not.
44
45 Sorry, I thought this thread was about whether to keep or discontinue
46 the separation between stable and testing branches.
49 Sam Jorna (wraeth)
50 GnuPG Key: D6180C26