From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: new herd: theology
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:23:32
1 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> posted
2 20070427072418.6ae6bd78@××××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Fri, 27
3 Apr 2007 07:24:18 +0200:
4
5 > On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 00:11:26 -0400
6 > Josh Sled <jsled@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
7 >
8 >> If that's the case, might not "humanities" be a better name?
9 >>
10 >> E.g., I don't know what genealogy has to do with theology, but I do see
11 >> that both relate to the human condition.
12 >
13 > It's a very good question, it was posed at the time, it was never
14 > answered and at last we can now say it was almost completely ignored.
15
16 I (and I expect others who know) didn't answer this before, as it would
17 have been too easy to start an OT subthread I didn't want to start, but I
18 trust everyone minding the CoC will prevent that from occurring now.
19
20 Briefly (and intended to be neutrally), the Latter Day Saints, commonly
21 known as the Mormons (maybe other groups as well??), have a religious
22 interest in genealogy, so having it in the religion/theology herd would
23 make sense to them. That should answer the question, and give a place to
24 start for those interested in looking it up.
25
26 However, I agree the sciences or a general humanities herd will make more
27 sense to most folks. I don't feel strongly enough about it to be worth
28 arguing a maintainer's choice of herd for their packages, however. After
29 all, they're the ones taking responsibility for it in the tree,
30 regardless of the herd it's in, and if it's more convenient for them in a
31 theology herd, why should it be a problem for those not interested in the
32 package? It might raise a few eyebrows here or there, but if it's being
33 well maintained, there are more critical things to argue about.
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list