From: Alexandre Buisse <nattfodd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: new herd: theology
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 11:02:13
1 On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 11:25:01 +0200, Duncan wrote:
2 > > It's a very good question, it was posed at the time, it was never
3 > > answered and at last we can now say it was almost completely ignored.
4 >
5 > I (and I expect others who know) didn't answer this before, as it would
6 > have been too easy to start an OT subthread I didn't want to start, but I
7 > trust everyone minding the CoC will prevent that from occurring now.
8 >
9 > Briefly (and intended to be neutrally), the Latter Day Saints, commonly
10 > known as the Mormons (maybe other groups as well??), have a religious
11 > interest in genealogy, so having it in the religion/theology herd would
12 > make sense to them. That should answer the question, and give a place to
13 > start for those interested in looking it up.
14
15 And a sect from the remote regions of Lapland believes that haskell is
16 a godsend and adore the ghc source code as their Holy Scripture, should
17 we move the haskell herd to theology as well?
20 > However, I agree the sciences or a general humanities herd will make more
21 > sense to most folks. I don't feel strongly enough about it to be worth
22 > arguing a maintainer's choice of herd for their packages, however. After
23 > all, they're the ones taking responsibility for it in the tree,
24 > regardless of the herd it's in, and if it's more convenient for them in a
25 > theology herd, why should it be a problem for those not interested in the
26 > package? It might raise a few eyebrows here or there, but if it's being
27 > well maintained, there are more critical things to argue about.
28
29 Sure, there are more critical things out there, but why should people,
30 on such a critical subject, chose to label packages that have nothing to
31 do with religion with a "theology" stamp?
32
33 /Alexandre
34 --
35 Hi, I'm a .signature virus! Please copy me in your ~/.signature.