From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:04:17
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 >
4 >> I don't recall having kde/gtk crap turned on by default when I first
5 >> showed up. Maybe I'm missing something; regardless, the defaults
6 >> (which should be minimal from my standpoint) are anything but.
9 > I think you recall wrong, then. The default USE flags have been set so
10 > that the majority of systems will work properly without modifications,
11 > not so that they're the minimal set.
12
13 I agree with that, since it's easy to configure them, but the problem is
14 that for most users, there is no default use flag at all. I'd say most
15 of our users run either gtk (and gnome) or qt (and kde), but not both.
16 Either you like gnome or kde ;) So we end up having qt, gtk, gtk2,
17 gnome, kde and arts in the default use flags, but nearly nobody wants to
18 use that, so I think it's better to have minimal use flags than
19 pseudo-standard ones.
20
21 Regards,
24 Simon Stelling