From: Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@×××.bg>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:46:12
1 On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 12:01 +0200, Simon Stelling wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > Brian Harring wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> I don't recall having kde/gtk crap turned on by default when I first
6 > >> showed up. Maybe I'm missing something; regardless, the defaults
7 > >> (which should be minimal from my standpoint) are anything but.
10 > > I think you recall wrong, then. The default USE flags have been set so
11 > > that the majority of systems will work properly without modifications,
12 > > not so that they're the minimal set.
13 >
14 > I agree with that, since it's easy to configure them, but the problem is
15 > that for most users, there is no default use flag at all. I'd say most
16 > of our users run either gtk (and gnome) or qt (and kde), but not both.
17 > Either you like gnome or kde ;) So we end up having qt, gtk, gtk2,
18 > gnome, kde and arts in the default use flags, but nearly nobody wants to
19 > use that, so I think it's better to have minimal use flags than
20 > pseudo-standard ones.
21 >
22 > Regards,
23 >
24 > --
25 > Simon Stelling
26 > Gentoo/AMD64 Operational Co-Lead
27 > blubb@g.o
28 Hi,
29 Think that at least some users have both Gnome&KDE (i for example). All
30 this because there are some apps which are QT/KDE based and others are
31 GTK/Gnome based.
32 Using 'k3b' which requires QT/KDElibs, also kdebase-startkde just to
33 have a working DE. Have full Gnome, but most time work using XFCE4.
34 Initially when configuring my USE-flags took the default ones and put
35 them (commented in /etc/make.conf) to see them and switch some ON/OFF.
36 Rumen
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list