From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] The make confusion
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:23:11
1 Ok another problem with various makes on Gentoo/FreeBSD ...
2
3 Let's recap:
4
5 make command is aliased to 'gmake' to let use of GNU make on most situations
6 (while most of the autotools projects are fine with bsd make, a few uses
7 unportable syntax).
8 emake command calls gmake, as above
9
10 to run bsd make, we used to have a bsdmake alias but it's not so good, so I've
11 wrote a bsdmk eclass that takes care of looking for the right make to
12 call: /usr/bin/make in BSD userland, pmake on GNU userland (and adds
13 dependency over sys-devel/pmake), bsdmake on Darwin userland (and adds
14 dependency over sys-devel/pmake).
15
16 Now, as we can't install pmake on Gentoo/FreeBSD, all the packages that
17 currently use it (ash and csh) are broken for us.
18
19 I'm thinking about adding bsdmk to main tree and make ash/csh use it to find
20 pmake but there's still a little problem.
21 'pmake' seems to be the old name of 'emake' (at least reading a couple of
22 comments here and there) and both csh and ash ebuilds wants to
23 call /usr/bin/pmake directly.. I'm not sure if bsdmk eclass should add
24 the /usr/bin bit or not.
25
26 Comments?
27 --
28 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
29 Gentoo Developer - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
30 (Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Gentoo/AMD64, Sound, PAM)