From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [OT] Re: Re: RFC: Indention in metadata.xml
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 16:12:16
1 Andrew Savchenko posted on Mon, 08 Jun 2015 16:33:55 +0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 04:40:47 +0000 (UTC) Duncan wrote:
4 >> Andrew Savchenko posted on Sat, 06 Jun 2015 20:36:13 +0300 as
5 >> excerpted:
6 >>
7 >> > It will never be finished, because console-based workflow is the most
8 >> > efficient way to work for many people, especially for advanced
9 >> > users/devs.
10 >>
11 >> Well, yes, but vgacon is rather dated, now. More folks are using high
12 >> resolution framebuffer console mode
13
14 >> So console-based workflow isn't so much of an excuse for 80-char lines,
15 >> these days. Of course lines can be /too/ long. There's a reason
16 >> newspapers and the like use multi-column printing, after all.
17 >
18 > You missed my point completely. 80 chars limit comes not from the
19 > console width, but from the text readability[1].
20
21 [The subthread already says OT, allowing those who wish to killfile it,
22 so...]
23
24 1) While that point was made (by you or someone else) elsewhere, it
25 wasn't made in this subthread. The point you made here was console-based
26 workflow, as quoted above, and that's what I addressed, arguing that even
27 if was valid at some point, it's no longer the factor it once was.
28
29 2) Actually, I didn't miss the text readability point "completely",
30 either. Thus the "Of course lines can be /too/ long" bit, specifically
31 mentioning multi-column newspaper printing, etc. You quoted it, but
32 apparently didn't read it?
33
34 So differences, if any, appear to be only in degree, tho I'm already on
35 record as saying it's bikeshedding either way.
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman