From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [OT] Re: Re: RFC: Indention in metadata.xml
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 13:34:29
1 On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 04:40:47 +0000 (UTC) Duncan wrote:
2 > Andrew Savchenko posted on Sat, 06 Jun 2015 20:36:13 +0300 as excerpted:
3 >
4 > > On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 18:35:41 +0600 Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov wrote:
5 > >> > * linewidth >> 80 (why do we have this short limit still in 2015)
6 > >>
7 > >> Actually, I dislike that too, but the reason is simple: some people
8 > >> still using text-mode terminals.
9 > >>
10 > >> // It would be nice to finally fix that, but let's be realistic: it
11 > >> looks like it wouldn't be finished in the near 10 years :-/
12 > >
13 > > It will never be finished, because console-based workflow is the most
14 > > efficient way to work for many people, especially for advanced
15 > > users/devs.
16 >
17 > Well, yes, but vgacon is rather dated, now. More folks are using high
18 > resolution framebuffer console mode all the time, and with monitors
19 > standardizing on 1920x1080 due to HDTV, well... my console mode is 320
20 > columns x 108 lines, now, and 80 chars... is just scrunched up on the
21 > left quarter of the screen![1]
22 >
23 > Of course there's split-screen too, tho I think many are like me and
24 > simply startx and run terminal windows if they want split-screen, so
25 > haven't bothered configuring it at the frame-buffer console, but again,
26 > even that's 160 width, over 100 width if 3-way-vert-split, and still 80
27 > width at 4-way-vert-split, which is getting a bit ridiculous.
28 >
29 > So console-based workflow isn't so much of an excuse for 80-char lines,
30 > these days. Of course lines can be /too/ long. There's a reason
31 > newspapers and the like use multi-column printing, after all. But 120
32 > char isn't too bad, and I expect most would find at least 100 char an
33 > improvement over 80, which really begins to feel like the old 40-char
34 > widths at some point.
35
36 You missed my point completely. 80 chars limit comes not from the
37 console width, but from the text readability[1]. It doesn't matter
38 how wide one's physical monitor is. Text of 300 characters width
39 will be barely readable.
40
41 Of course if a code have large left indents for inner blocks, such
42 code may exceed 80-chars barrier, but without left whitespace it
43 should be within limits. Of course there are various exceptions like
44 comments and so on. But as a rule of thumb too wide lines are not
45 readable because eyes shift during line read is way too large.
46
47 60-80 chars limit comes from the science, not from the console
48 width. Actually I suspect that console width was selected that way
49 due to readability issues.
50
51 [1] http://baymard.com/blog/line-length-readability
52