From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [OT] Re: Re: RFC: Indention in metadata.xml
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2015 04:41:06
1 Andrew Savchenko posted on Sat, 06 Jun 2015 20:36:13 +0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 18:35:41 +0600 Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov wrote:
4 >> > * linewidth >> 80 (why do we have this short limit still in 2015)
5 >>
6 >> Actually, I dislike that too, but the reason is simple: some people
7 >> still using text-mode terminals.
8 >>
9 >> // It would be nice to finally fix that, but let's be realistic: it
10 >> looks like it wouldn't be finished in the near 10 years :-/
11 >
12 > It will never be finished, because console-based workflow is the most
13 > efficient way to work for many people, especially for advanced
14 > users/devs.
15
16 Well, yes, but vgacon is rather dated, now. More folks are using high
17 resolution framebuffer console mode all the time, and with monitors
18 standardizing on 1920x1080 due to HDTV, well... my console mode is 320
19 columns x 108 lines, now, and 80 chars... is just scrunched up on the
20 left quarter of the screen![1]
21
22 Of course there's split-screen too, tho I think many are like me and
23 simply startx and run terminal windows if they want split-screen, so
24 haven't bothered configuring it at the frame-buffer console, but again,
25 even that's 160 width, over 100 width if 3-way-vert-split, and still 80
26 width at 4-way-vert-split, which is getting a bit ridiculous.
27
28 So console-based workflow isn't so much of an excuse for 80-char lines,
29 these days. Of course lines can be /too/ long. There's a reason
30 newspapers and the like use multi-column printing, after all. But 120
31 char isn't too bad, and I expect most would find at least 100 char an
32 improvement over 80, which really begins to feel like the old 40-char
33 widths at some point.
34
35 ---
36 [1] Of course, 320x108 chars /is/ with a 42-inch TV as a monitor, but
37 it's not exactly tiny print, either. I sit farther away from it than
38 many people sit from their monitor. But even half of that is 160 chars
39 width, which is what I used to use on my 21-inch. Wrapping at 120 chars
40 thus shouldn't be unreasonable at all.
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman