From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (Critical News Reporting) round five
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:24:57
1 On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 05:19:27 -0700 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 | Ciaran McCreesh posted <20051213032043.55a6e40f@××××××××.home>,
4 | excerpted below, on Tue, 13 Dec 2005 03:20:43 +0000:
5 |
6 | > Ok, new draft. Changes are as follows:
7 | []
8 | > * Changed /var/lib/portage to /var/lib/gentoo
9 |
10 | OK, I must have missed the reason for that, and it isn't listed in
11 | one of your "a previous version" notes, unless I missed that too. <g>
12
13 It's getting ready for the glorious future when we won't be using
14 Portage any more. I also changed most of the instances of "Portage" in
15 the GLEP to "the package manager".
16
17 | Wouldn't it be less confusing if the news warning appeared in the same
18 | place, relative to the package listing, in both of these? Isn't an
19 | emerge --ask just the output of pretend, with a confirmation pinned
20 | to the end? Shouldn't it continue to be that, at least in concept?
21
22 It's a question of visibility.
23
24 | First, the change outline doesn't state what the result actually was,
25 | in the GLEP. Mandatory would require a MUST (or a similar statement
26 | that it's mandatory), while the GLEP words it as a SHOULD. Or is
27 | "should" not to be taken in the usual RFC meaning, but rather as an
28 | RFC "MUST"?
29
30 I'm avoiding 'must', because there's probably a legitimate exception
31 somewhere.
32
33 | Third, recall from the discussion of an earlier draft, someone
34 | mentioned the multiple meaning of read (as here) vs. "read" (as in
35 | README). The suggestion to avoid that ambiguity was "seen" and
36 | "unseen". Another might be (un)viewed. I'm not sure this is a big
37 | enough issue to matter much, particularly with "unread" there as
38 | well, to influence the context, but as I don't recall that point
39 | being addressed, I thought I'd mention it here.
40
41 Pfff. Email clients use it. Trying to avoid words with multiple
42 definitions in English is pretty much futile.
45 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
46 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
47 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm