From: Henti Smith <bain@×××××××.za>
To: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] common ebuild mistakes
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 12:23:15
1 On Fri, 23 May 2003 21:15:07 +0900
2 Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 01:52:32PM +0200, Henti Smith wrote:
5 > > I agree .... if this was that case I would still be using slackware or
6 > > something since I can "update" the packaes I have installed when "needed" I
7 > > use gentoo so I can get the latest mplayer a few days after it comes out etc
8 > > etc
9 > >
10 > > otherwise whats the point of having gentoo and portage .. ?
11 >
12 > That's one thing I hear lots of people pointing as a downside of gentoo. In an
13 > attempt to have the newest packages it happens that even the stable ones are
14 > not stable enough.
15
16 I don't mind unstable stuff ... before gentoo I compiled everything myself as well
17 and I run my system as ~x86 and I edit packages.mask and have portage overlay for my own bumps thats not in
18 portage yet.
19
20 > I thought the idea of portage is the ability to compile the packages any way
21 > you want, not necessarily to have the newest one a few days after it's out.
22
23 There are many sides to what gentoo offers .. for me personally .. it's the fact that I can install the latest stuff to play with
24 and I don't have to worry about dependancies ... if there is a problem .. I write my own ebuilds to do what I want and sort it out and
25 submit it ..
26
27 > Otherwize, even RedHat had pretty fresh packages in its Rawhide for the
28 > adventurous. And not that late after the official release at all.
29
30 I like to compile stuff ;P
31
32 Henti