From: Luca Longinotti <chtekk@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:20:14
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:11:52 -0500 Lance Albertson
3 > <ramereth@g.o> wrote:
4 > | I partially agree that a strong council will help the situation, but
5 > | the problem with any leadership-by-committee model is the lack of
6 > | quick decisions. Many times things come up that need a quick
7 > | resolution (when I say quick, I mean within a few days). And if you
8 > | have a committee of 7 or so people that live in several different
9 > | timezones, its extremely hard to get them together to discuss it all.
10 >
11 > Mmm, afaics there's nothing preventing the council from having quick,
12 > 'as needed' informal interim meetings with whoever happens to be around.
13 > If a few people aren't there, it's not as big a deal as if people don't
14 > show up to the monthly meetings. Heck, the monthly meetings could be
15 > considered a minimum...
16
17 Indeed. I have to agree with Ciaran here, a stronger council seems to be
18 one of the best solutions. A (benevolent) dictatorship, or the opposite
19 of extending the democracy level even more, aren't going to solve
20 anything imho. The dictatorship model sure doesn't motivate volunteers,
21 and having more than one person is anyway better, as already pointed
22 out, to not have single points of failure, or potential for quick and
23 big damage. The opposite of a total democracy too doesn't cut it, when
24 anyone starts having the power to put stuff to vote, make up referendums
25 etc., things start to slow down and get caught up in endless bureaucracy
26 (I'm swiss, it happens there, often, not that it isn't a good thing for
27 something like a nation, but for something the size of Gentoo, and with
28 the scope of Gentoo, it would just hurt imho).
29
30 > | The council has its merits, but it also has its weaknesses, this one
31 > | being one of them. I think I mentioned 6mo ago that we could keep the
32 > | council, but select one person to sort of be the "operational lead"
33 > | to make quick decisions so that development moves on.
34 >
35 > What happens if he or she (ok, he) isn't around? Is the flexibility of
36 > having a single "on the spot decision" leader enough to outweigh the
37 > disadvantages over allowing mini meetings?
38
39 The ability of the council to hold arbitrary mini-meetings when needed,
40 and eventually change the decisions at a later date (with a time limit
41 of course, so that people can start doing work, and at the same time
42 don't do too much work for it to then be eventually refused) if there is
43 extreme opposition (basically if you have only 2 members around, those
44 decides "YES", and the other 5 then tell "NO NO NO!") would seem the
45 best course of action to me. Having the "one council leader" doesn't cut
46 it, as Ciaran already mentioned for reasons of availability, and again
47 we'd introduce a possible "quick" point-of-failure. If there is a
48 decision that needs to be done extremely quick, just get together the
49 council members that are there and do it, although I wouldn't expect it
50 to be commonplace to have decisions that affect the whole of Gentoo that
51 need to be taken in like an hour or two, at least 1-4 days of time to
52 "prepare" for the decision can always be required, thus allowing the
53 council members to be there in a reasonable amount for those
54 mini-meetings, and if not, but if they know they want to say something,
55 there still are proxies that can act for them.
56 Raising the number to two co-leads can also be a solution, but what if
57 exactly those two are away for whatever reason, but the other 5 are
58 around? Now do they have to wait on one of the aforementioned two people
59 to do anything? That still is a possible point-of-failure, which the
60 other model (who is there decides, who is not does not) would solve
61 relatively well.
64 Best regards,
65 Luca Longinotti aka CHTEKK
66