From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:35:09
1 On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:11:52 -0500 Lance Albertson
2 <ramereth@g.o> wrote:
3 | I partially agree that a strong council will help the situation, but
4 | the problem with any leadership-by-committee model is the lack of
5 | quick decisions. Many times things come up that need a quick
6 | resolution (when I say quick, I mean within a few days). And if you
7 | have a committee of 7 or so people that live in several different
8 | timezones, its extremely hard to get them together to discuss it all.
9
10 Mmm, afaics there's nothing preventing the council from having quick,
11 'as needed' informal interim meetings with whoever happens to be around.
12 If a few people aren't there, it's not as big a deal as if people don't
13 show up to the monthly meetings. Heck, the monthly meetings could be
14 considered a minimum...
15
16 | The council has its merits, but it also has its weaknesses, this one
17 | being one of them. I think I mentioned 6mo ago that we could keep the
18 | council, but select one person to sort of be the "operational lead"
19 | to make quick decisions so that development moves on.
20
21 What happens if he or she (ok, he) isn't around? Is the flexibility of
22 having a single "on the spot decision" leader enough to outweigh the
23 disadvantages over allowing mini meetings?
26 Ciaran McCreesh
27 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list