From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:01:40
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:11:52 -0500 Lance Albertson
3 > <ramereth@g.o> wrote:
4 > | I partially agree that a strong council will help the situation, but
5 > | the problem with any leadership-by-committee model is the lack of
6 > | quick decisions. Many times things come up that need a quick
7 > | resolution (when I say quick, I mean within a few days). And if you
8 > | have a committee of 7 or so people that live in several different
9 > | timezones, its extremely hard to get them together to discuss it all.
10 >
11 > Mmm, afaics there's nothing preventing the council from having quick,
12 > 'as needed' informal interim meetings with whoever happens to be around.
13 > If a few people aren't there, it's not as big a deal as if people don't
14 > show up to the monthly meetings. Heck, the monthly meetings could be
15 > considered a minimum...
16
17 True, that might work, but then you run the risk of losing cohesion of
18 what everyone knows. To me, the same person(s) should be at all those
19 meetings if possible. Its better to have one or two people who know
20 whats going on with all council-related stuff than one here, one there.
21 It can become disjointed rather easily.
22
23 > | The council has its merits, but it also has its weaknesses, this one
24 > | being one of them. I think I mentioned 6mo ago that we could keep the
25 > | council, but select one person to sort of be the "operational lead"
26 > | to make quick decisions so that development moves on.
27 >
28 > What happens if he or she (ok, he) isn't around? Is the flexibility of
29 > having a single "on the spot decision" leader enough to outweigh the
30 > disadvantages over allowing mini meetings?
31
32 I thought of that while I was walking to a meeting..heh Basically,
33 Appoint two people to co-lead, or appoint one Lead and one Vice Lead.
34 That way there's some kind of accountability on the bare minimum level
35 and good coverage (hopefully).
38 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
39 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
40
41 ---
42 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
43 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
44
45 ramereth/irc.freenode.net