From: Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:58:50
1 Lance Albertson wrote:
2 >
3 > I thought of that while I was walking to a meeting..heh Basically,
4 > Appoint two people to co-lead, or appoint one Lead and one Vice Lead.
5 > That way there's some kind of accountability on the bare minimum level
6 > and good coverage (hopefully).
9 I was also thinking about turning the Council into a Leaders Group ,
10 or probably to create a new Core Team.
11
12 Difference being that they would be empowered to take decisions; mainly
13 technical ones.
14
15 I already can hear some of you worried with questions like "You mean, to
16 have people with no clue of $<add-you-favorite-team-here> to take
17 decisions about $<add-you-favorite-subject-here>?".
18
19 Well, first at all, we need to understand and moreover, accept something.
20
21 If we want to bring real and important changes to the way Gentoo works,
22 we will also need to assume 'real' and important risks.
23
24 I think that we all pretty much know this, but we are scared of facing
25 this reality and therefore we have incurred to just get a more passive
26 body and 'try' to assume we have already addressed the issue with the
27 Council (nothing against you guys, it is just that the body isn't
28 designed for this).
29
30 So, now straight to the point, we could elect a Core Team , including
31 people from each team. And those will be the responsible to take Gentoo
32 into new 'realms' , with its 'risks' included. I am also scared about
33 this model .. it might not work , it actually might create the next
34 armageddon for many. But what if it does? , it might help solving this
35 stagnation state Gentoo is facing right now, and bring more new ideas
36 into play. i would give it a chance because my friend, it is the only
37 way to solve the issue.
38
39 I personally see the Council as a very passive democratic body, which
40 might be good at times; but not always. It is not definitely good for
41 taking new changes and innovations into our community.
42
43 Something like that anecdote of a tribe invading an island.. after they
44 landed on it, the captain ordered to burn all of the ships.. his
45 soldiers asked him why? .. he said there was only two ways of ending the
46 battle ... death .. or conquering the island.
47
48 This .. or let's keep running away forever.
49
50 My two Bs. cents.
53 PS: This was just a general idea. If you are interested about it, let's
54 discuss its implementations details in a constructive way instead of
55 flames about its already possible details.
60 Luis F. Araujo "araujo at gentoo.org"
61 Gentoo Linux
65 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list