From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUi installer brainstorm
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 18:58:52
1 mån 2002-01-07 klockan 00.43 skrev Miguel S. Filipe:
2
3 > For me, without any doubt, grafical installers can only cause trouble
4 > and compatibility problems.. has you said.
5 > A ncurses aproach would be preferable, like the instalers of :
6 > freebsd
7 > slackware
8 > debian
9 > redhat v5 (the one i liked most)
10 >
11 > It should be, in order of priority: functional/pratical, stable, safe,
12 > fast, pretty.
13
14 To clearify, just because it's written in QT/C++ (though I'm not a big
15 fan of either QT or C++) doesn't rule out functional/practical, stable,
16 what do you mean by safe? (safe as in user-can't-do-it-wrong?)
17
18 What is really the issue here is the functionality we need. Since this
19 is done on Bevins (and perhaps mine) sparetime there is another priority
20 you forgot above. The fun of doing it, otherwise it won't get done.
21
22 So, the reason for a GUI installer is simply that both Bevin and me
23 thinks it would be fun to write one. And we think that it would benifit
24 the users. Of course there will be an alternative of installing it in
25 the same way as it's currently done.
26
27 Regards,
28 Mikael Hallendal
31 Mikael Hallendal
32 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
33 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden