From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new "qt" category
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 08:29:56
1 On 20 January 2013 05:03, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 130119 Ben de Groot wrote:
3 >> On 19 January 2013 21:46, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> Maybe lib-qt ? dev-qt sounds confusing to me too, what's "dev" about it?
5 >> These are libraries and applications
6 >> that are used by developers of end-user applications.
7 >
8 > They are also encountered by users when updating KDE etc.
9
10 Not directly, only as dependencies. A simple world update will do what
11 is needed.
12
13 And otherwise this is more precise and concise:
14 emerge -au1 `eix --only-names -IC qt`
15
16 >> If there is too much opposition to a simple "qt" category
17 >> -- at least there seems to be some quite vocal opposition -- ,
18 >> then dev-qt is in my eyes the next best alternative.
19 >
20 > 'qt' alone is inconsistent with the rest of the tree.
21
22 Not really. We already have virtual/.
23
24 >> A third option we came up with is qt-framework.
25 >
26 > Too long to type & again no parallel in the existing tree.
27
28 But closer to upstream naming.
29
30 >> Somewhat comparable categories in the current tree
31 >> are dev-dotnet and gnustep-{base,libs}.
32 >
33 > Flame-eyes' suggestion is simple, consistent & involves least change :
34 > 'x11-qt/qt-core' 'x11-qt/qt-gui' etc. Please do it like that.
35
36 Most of Qt has nothing whatsoever to do with X11 directly, and that
37 will increasingly be true for Qt5 with its Wayland support.
40 Cheers,
41
42 Ben | yngwin
43 Gentoo developer
44 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin