From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Updating Portage Cache" optimizations
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:41:41
1 > portage.aux_get embedded in a double nested for loop. aux_get either
2 > copies the metadata file out of /usr/portage/metadata/cache/ into
3 > /var/cache/edb/dep/ or regenerates it using the ebuild if the cached
4 > version is old. My laptop's hard-drive is pretty slow (4200RPM, etc) so
5 > this process of copying ~ 36MB of small files takes about 4.5 minutes on
6 > average. In most cases the metadata files are copied directly. I did a diff
7 > on some categories in the /dep/ cache vs. the /metadata/ cache and found
8 > only a few files were regenerated.
11 Having not seen the current code at all, but if it is as you say, I should think an rsync would be more efficient to do. As for proper channels, please point your browser to bugs.gentoo.org
14 Seemant Kulleen
15 Developer and Project Co-ordinator,
16 Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~seemant
17
18 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3458780E
19 Key fingerprint = 23A9 7CB5 9BBB 4F8D 549B 6593 EDA2 65D8 3458 780E