From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop experience on smartphone: thoughts and plans against Ubuntu edge
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 04:57:45
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 08/13/2013 01:21 AM, heroxbd wrote:
5 > Dear Fellows,
6 >
7 > Canonical is raising money by pushing their concept of Ubuntu for
8 > Android[1][2]. The idea is to put GNU environment (esp. Ubuntu userland)
9 > in parallel to Android to drive the external HDMI output with X11
10 > protocal, so that desktop applications can run on the smartphone.
11 >
12 > The idea is cool, but not new. The idea is general to all android
13 > devices, while Canonical is binding the concept with its own new device.
14 >
15 > The project is developed underground by Canonical, so far nothing, not
16 > to say repository, is available except advertisements and the call for
17 > people to donate.
18 >
19 > As a natual consequence of the on-going Google Summer of Code project,
20 > Gentoo on Android[3], we can run native Gentoo on *all* the Android
21 > devices. Compiling out an Xorg and output to HDMI has no theoretical
22 > difficulty. Furthermore, sharing of graphic output with Android (instead
23 > of a separate HDMI output) can be explored with wayland x11[4].
24 >
25 > I feel sorry to the behavior of Canonical. We, people from the Gentoo
26 > community, can show the general public what is the cooperative way to
27 > develop desktop/smartphone hybrid to benefit all.
28 >
29 > I would like to kick out a sub-project of Gentoo targeting smartphone
30 > and tablets. It would be nice to find out a solution based on Gentoo for
31 > desktop/smartphone hybrid *before* Canonical's release.
32 >
33 > Comments welcome.
36 You know what I've done with this kind of thing already. I am at your
37 disposal. If you want to publicly embarass canonical by releasing
38 something awesome (either first or better) I can find the time to help.
39 You know where to find me ;-)
40
41 - -Zero
42