From: Paul <set@×××××.com>
To: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why should copyright assignment be a requirement?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 06:41:47
1 Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>, on Thu Aug 21, 2003 [01:46:16 AM] said:
2 > On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 01:16:37AM -0400, Paul wrote:
3
4 > > Maybe its my paranoia, but while I _might_ be willing
5 > > to assign copyright to the FSF, Im not sure a company with
6 > > a distribution deserves such trust. Witness Caldera...
7 >
8 > Maybe, but since we license it under the GPL, on the off chance that
9 > somebody suddenly inherited all of Gentoo's intellectual property and
10 > wanted to relicense it, old versions would still be under the GPL.
13 > > Once you have the GPL, you have a license. I could
14 > > relicense an ebuild to, say some *BSD based thing, or some
15 > > commercial spin-off if I wanted (if I still hold copyright),
16 > > but that doesnt affect "Gentoo Technologies, Inc." right
17 > > to use the ebuild under the GPL. It just affects their ability
18 > > to completely control the 'intellectual property'.
19 >
20 > I'm talking about situations where a fork or some other entity wants to
21 > change the license: legally speaking, they _cannot_ change the license
22 > unless they're the copyright holder. If the contributor owns the
23 > copyright rather than Gentoo, only the contributor can begin legal
24 > proceedings against the infringing entity.
27 Hi;
28
29 Im having a hard time reconciling your first paragraph
30 with the second. First you point out that my rights under
31 the GPL wouldn't be affected by someone aquiring Gentoos IP,
32 then you claim Gentoo needs be able to protect against 'license
33 changing'. Probably you mean license violation?
34 If, say I had an ebuild in there, with my copyright
35 held by me, and someone started using it in some way that
36 violated my license (the GPL), then yes, I would be the one
37 who would have to take legal action. At that point, I have
38 choices. I could, for example, assign copyright to the FSF,
39 or Gentoo. I could ignore it, etc. I couldnt (as you
40 state) take away anyones ability to use it under the terms
41 of the GPL.
42 If I assign copyright to Gentoo, I have no more
43 choice. Someone could aquire all their 'IP', and make all the
44 ebuilds future modifications closed and proprietary.
45 In other words, if Gentoo has the copyright, they
46 have the choices about taking legal action, or inaction.
47 It gives them a product they have control over. I am
48 unconvinced that this is ultimately in the users benifit.
49
50 Paul
51 set@×××××.com
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list