From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Paul <set@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why should copyright assignment be a requirement?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 05:46:19
1 On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 01:16:37AM -0400, Paul wrote:
2 > Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>, on Thu Aug 21, 2003 [12:17:23 AM] said:
3 >
4 > > With regards to copyrights, it's necessary for us to own copyright on
5 > > ebuilds in order to defend our intellectual property. If we (Gentoo
6 > > Technologies) don't own copyright on ebuilds (and other pieces of
7 > > Gentoo), we have no legal leg to stand on if someone (for example)
8 > > attempts to put a more restrictive license on that piece of intellectual
9 > > property.
10 > >
11 > > In short: if we don't own copyright, we can't defend ourselves.
12 > >
13 > > --
14 > > Jon Portnoy
15 > > avenj/irc.freenode.net
16 >
17 > Hi;
18 >
19 > Thankyou for your kind, swift response;
20 >
21 > Maybe its my paranoia, but while I _might_ be willing
22 > to assign copyright to the FSF, Im not sure a company with
23 > a distribution deserves such trust. Witness Caldera...
24
25 Maybe, but since we license it under the GPL, on the off chance that
26 somebody suddenly inherited all of Gentoo's intellectual property and
27 wanted to relicense it, old versions would still be under the GPL.
30 > Once you have the GPL, you have a license. I could
31 > relicense an ebuild to, say some *BSD based thing, or some
32 > commercial spin-off if I wanted (if I still hold copyright),
33 > but that doesnt affect "Gentoo Technologies, Inc." right
34 > to use the ebuild under the GPL. It just affects their ability
35 > to completely control the 'intellectual property'.
36
37 I'm talking about situations where a fork or some other entity wants to
38 change the license: legally speaking, they _cannot_ change the license
39 unless they're the copyright holder. If the contributor owns the
40 copyright rather than Gentoo, only the contributor can begin legal
41 proceedings against the infringing entity.
42
43 I'm specifically not referring to situations where a contributor wants
44 future versions of their ebuilds to be released under a different
45 license.
48 > In short, Im hearing that its protective leverage
49 > for Gentoo Technologies, Inc., an entity whose status I am not
50 > currently sure of...
51 >
52 > Paul
53 > set@×××××.com
54
55 Daniel has repeatedly publicly committed to going nonprofit, but going
56 from a for-profit to a non-profit is a time-consuming process.
59 Jon Portnoy
60 avenj/irc.freenode.net
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list