From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] supporting static-libs
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 20:58:34
1 On Tuesday 28 of August 2012 02:15:40 hasufell wrote:
2 > Is there a reason not to support static-libs in an ebuild if the package
3 > supports it?
4 >
5 > It seems some developers don't care about this option. What's the gentoo
6 > policy on this? Isn't this actually a bug?
7
8 A little remark.
9 For CMake controlled buildsystem (as you're coming here from latest dev-
10 games/simgear), there's no automatic way of building both static and shared
11 libs (simgear allows to choose just one).
12 This is why I removed static libs support that you proposed for dev-
13 games/simgear (similar to ruby eclass abi handling - manually calling phases
14 twice to build package 1st as shared, 2nd time as static).
15 This is what I called "not worth the effort" in private discussion with you,
16 not quite "I don't care for static libs" :)
19 regards
20 MM