From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] supporting static-libs
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 08:19:28
1 On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 10:54:15PM +0200, Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 28 of August 2012 02:15:40 hasufell wrote:
3 > > Is there a reason not to support static-libs in an ebuild if the package
4 > > supports it?
5 > >
6 > > It seems some developers don't care about this option. What's the gentoo
7 > > policy on this? Isn't this actually a bug?
8 >
9 > A little remark.
10 > For CMake controlled buildsystem (as you're coming here from latest dev-
11 > games/simgear), there's no automatic way of building both static and shared
12 > libs (simgear allows to choose just one).
13 > This is why I removed static libs support that you proposed for dev-
14 > games/simgear (similar to ruby eclass abi handling - manually calling phases
15 > twice to build package 1st as shared, 2nd time as static).
16 > This is what I called "not worth the effort" in private discussion with you,
17 > not quite "I don't care for static libs" :)
18
19 Guessing in the worst case, you can do a double compile to get around
20 this, no? And yes, that's freaking horrible, just verifying cmake
21 isn't doing something special that blocks it.
22
23 Is upstream doing anything about this, or is it not on their
24 radar/list-of-things-they-care-about ?
25
26 ~harring