From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for May
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 19:41:11
1 On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 08:53 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > I don't even see how this is a policy discussion at all as the policy is
3 > more or less clear to me; is it unclear for others? This is an
4 > enforcement problem, no?
5
6 No. It *was* an enforcement problem. The problem has been resolved
7 already. There's really no need for the Council to speak on this.
8 Keyword policy applies to everyone. In the cases of certain games, such
9 as Eternal Lands (thanks Roy!), we can make exceptions simply because of
10 the necessity. That being said, there's nothing stopping games (or any
11 maintainer) from filing a stabilization bug *immediately* after putting
12 a package in the tree. I've done it on games a few times and I've seen
13 it done on things like portage when a necessary fix needed to go out as
14 quickly as possible.
15
16 The point of policy is *not* to impede progress. It is supposed to be
17 to provide our users the best quality distribution. If policy gets in
18 the way of progress without gain for our users, then the policy needs to
19 be revisited.
22 Chris Gianelloni
23 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
24 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
25 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
26 Gentoo Foundation