From: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: Andy Arbon <gentoo@××××××××××××××.uk>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Compiling in a RAM disk
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:26:20
1 On Friday 24 January 2003 1:09 pm, Andy Arbon wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I seem to remember that a while back there was talk of modifying Portage
5 > so that it could do compilations in RAM disk rather than using the HD.
6 >
7 > I'm curious whether this idea was accepted by the devs and if so, when
8 > it's targeted to be finished?
9 >
10 > I have a fair amount of RAM and a slow disk, so I'm quite keen on the idea.
11
12 Try running vmstat while emerging; do you actually see any disk activity? On
13 this machine with 500M ram, my last kde emerge barely touched the disks.
18 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list