From: Evan Powers <powers.161@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Compiling in a RAM disk
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 18:49:40
1 On Friday 24 January 2003 08:20 am, Toby Dickenson wrote:
2 > Try running vmstat while emerging; do you actually see any disk activity?
3 > On this machine with 500M ram, my last kde emerge barely touched the disks.
4
5 Yeah, I'm completely with Toby on this one.... Because Linux aggressively
6 caches disk access, I really wouldn't expect compiling on a RAM disk to do
7 any better. If you have enough RAM for this to be feasible, the compilation
8 is probably happening in RAM anyway (disk cache), so you'd gain nothing.
9
10 The only thing I could possibly see confusing this is when you actually start
11 having to swap out to disk. If page-outs that are swap-backed are very much
12 more efficient than page-outs that are filesystem-backed, maybe then a RAM
13 disk would give you a gain.
14
15 I guess I wouldn't be surprised if page-outs to a swap partition are faster
16 than page-outs to a filesystem, that's why Linux has swap partitions in the
17 first place. But does anybody have concrete numbers proving that it actually
18 matters in this particular case, that is, compilation?
19
20 Evan
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list