From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla etiquette suggestions
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:54:05
1 On Monday 13 February 2006 00:24, Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > Maybe not if you have already done the work. I was thinking more of the
3 > scenario, upstream does a release. You are on the mailing list so you
4 > know about the new version. You decide you'll bump it in portage tomorrow.
5 >
6 > Overnight, someone files a request for a version bump. Maybe they attach
7 > a new ebuild or state that the existing one needs bumping.
8 This is a scenario quite good... if it wasn't that at least myself I see it
9 rarely :)
10
11 Rarely because if I see a bump, I'm already starting testing it usually.
12 Yesterday I finished amaroK's bump while I was eating dinner :P
13
14 In amaroK's case, anyway, there's no problem to know if it has relesed:
15 upstream releases always in time, providing packagers with candidates to
16 release, allowing to prepare stuff before actual release.. the release is
17 also broadcasted in their homepage, on #amarok@freenode, on KDE-Apps, on
18 kde-extra-gear mailing list, usually on Planet KDE, too....
19 Really, I don't need bugs to remember me to bump it.
20
21 Mostly the same for k3b.. it's released and then announced on kde-extra-gear,
22 KDE-Apps, SourceForge, ..
23
24 I can be very thankful if someone would let me know when ALSA gets released as
25 the upstream send mail to -announce once in a blue moon instead..
26
27 > That is a fair point, and if you can't afford to spend the time on it
28 > then I'm not complaining. However, there are situations where this can
29 > *save* you time.
30 I try to explain why I did some changes before committing or why I didn't use
31 a given fix usually, I also try to provide documentation of what I do and why
32 I do it that way (see maintainers' guides, that nobody else seems to want).
33 But really, if I get a bug for a thing to be fixed, I try to fix it right
34 away... sometimes if I don't have time in that moment I leave a comment
35 telling where or what to look for..not like there's always someone ready to
36 fix :)
37 If I start thinking "this bug I'll fix later and provide just pointers to
38 users, I'm sure I'm going to forget about it. I actually did that already :)
41 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
42 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE