From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla etiquette suggestions
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:29:39
1 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > In amaroK's case, anyway, there's no problem to know if it has relesed:
3 > upstream releases always in time, providing packagers with candidates to
4 > release, allowing to prepare stuff before actual release.. the release is
5 > also broadcasted in their homepage, on #amarok@freenode, on KDE-Apps, on
6 > kde-extra-gear mailing list, usually on Planet KDE, too....
7 > Really, I don't need bugs to remember me to bump it.
8 >
9 > Mostly the same for k3b.. it's released and then announced on kde-extra-gear,
10 > KDE-Apps, SourceForge, ..
11 >
12 > I can be very thankful if someone would let me know when ALSA gets released as
13 > the upstream send mail to -announce once in a blue moon instead..
14
15 After contributing to the suggestions on -core I forgot to explain
16 myself very clearly on this point.
17
18 I'm not suggesting a mechanism for handling or encouraging "0-day" bump
19 requests - I'm giving a suggestion which I believe will help *reduce*
20 those requests.
21
22 By leaving a nice comment (asking that they give us a little more room
23 to breathe in future) *and* crediting the user, maybe they will take
24 your advice to heart.
25
26 It's not up to the user to know how closely the maintainer tracks the
27 upstream release (or even who the maintainer is in the first place), but
28 in general we prefer to be left for a week or so before being notified
29 via Gentoo bugzilla, right?
30
31 > I try to explain why I did some changes before committing or why I didn't use
32 > a given fix usually, I also try to provide documentation of what I do and why
33 > I do it that way (see maintainers' guides, that nobody else seems to want).
34
35 OK - thats a good compromise if you can't afford to spend the full
36 amount of time guiding the user through it. I have never heard of your
37 maintainer guides before but will check them out now.
38
39 > If I start thinking "this bug I'll fix later and provide just pointers to
40 > users, I'm sure I'm going to forget about it. I actually did that already :)
41
42 Fair enough - I guess it depends on your workflow. Perhaps you could
43 just try this for a couple of bugs: reassign them to yourself and leave
44 the appropriate comments,then observing the users reaction. That way the
45 bug is hard to lose since it is on your "My Bugs" list.
46
47 Daniel
48 --
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list