From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 08:21:35
1 On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 18:20:42 -0400
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Part of the idea everyone is missing is time... It takes time to go look at
5 > information a package metadata.xml If the package is coming in as a
6 > dependency. Instead of just being able to visually look at the package name
7 > and know.
8 >
9 > This is a binary package from upstream
10 > This is a binary package from Gentoo
11
12 There's quite a lot of metadata that *might* be important ( but isn't ) and is only
13 available as metadata, not visible in the package name itself.
14
15 Like, LICENSE, and "where its fetched from"
16
17 dev-lang/perl-artistic-gpl2+-cpan-5.24.1
18
19 This is just getting silly.
20
21 Exposing metadata in the package atom should be out of *necessity*,
22 not some misguided sense of visibility.
23
24 For every other kind of metadata, those who care about it should invest
25 effort into exposing it.
26
27 That's why my example elsewhere abuses the LICENSE field to demonstrate
28 how end users can make a choice/see the reality using out-of-name
29 metadata.
30
31 But there is quite frankly no *need* for -gbin and -bin
32
33 The only real /technical/ reason we have both -bin and -gbin is it
34 avoids the binary version competing for a name with the source-built
35 version.
36
37 That is, if there is a "-bin" package, its viable some day there may be
38 a non "-bin" package, and that they may both be available side-by-side
39 and you may wish to choose between them.
40
41 But "-gbin" and "-bin" coexisting side-by side is a usecase I can't see
42 being useful to anybody.