From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 08:47:06
1 On 10/17/2016 01:21 AM, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 18:20:42 -0400
3 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Part of the idea everyone is missing is time... It takes time to go look at
6 >> information a package metadata.xml If the package is coming in as a
7 >> dependency. Instead of just being able to visually look at the package name
8 >> and know.
9 >>
10 >> This is a binary package from upstream
11 >> This is a binary package from Gentoo
12 >
13 > There's quite a lot of metadata that *might* be important ( but isn't ) and is only
14 > available as metadata, not visible in the package name itself.
15 >
16 > Like, LICENSE, and "where its fetched from"
17 >
18 > dev-lang/perl-artistic-gpl2+-cpan-5.24.1
19 >
20 > This is just getting silly.
21 >
22 > Exposing metadata in the package atom should be out of *necessity*,
23 > not some misguided sense of visibility.
24 >
25 > For every other kind of metadata, those who care about it should invest
26 > effort into exposing it.
27 >
28 > That's why my example elsewhere abuses the LICENSE field to demonstrate
29 > how end users can make a choice/see the reality using out-of-name
30 > metadata.
31 >
32 > But there is quite frankly no *need* for -gbin and -bin
33 >
34 > The only real /technical/ reason we have both -bin and -gbin is it
35 > avoids the binary version competing for a name with the source-built
36 > version.
37 >
38 > That is, if there is a "-bin" package, its viable some day there may be
39 > a non "-bin" package, and that they may both be available side-by-side
40 > and you may wish to choose between them.
41 >
42 > But "-gbin" and "-bin" coexisting side-by side is a usecase I can't see
43 > being useful to anybody.
44 >
45 +1
46
47 It sounds like a good intention, but users who don't check that sort of
48 thing likely don't care or won't know which decision is "right" for
49 them. Metadata makes the most sense, as that's the entire point of
50 _meta_data. app-portage/gentoolkit is imo almost required for
51 administering a Gentoo machine. equery and eix are amazingly useful as a
52 user. I can't fathom a reason not to use them.
55 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
56 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
57 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6