From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: please stop using foo-${PV}-bar.patch in other ebuild versions than ${PV}
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:41:11
1 Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > Alin Năstac <mrness@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I suppose what everyone does in their part of the tree is their
5 >> business, but a small subset of packages I maintain have other
6 >> maintainers as well. It is annoying to see rules you assume being
7 >> respected on your ebuilds being broken at every bump made by others.
8 >
9 > I'm sure they're just as annoyed by your bizarre take on patch version
10 > numbering as you are with theirs. ;)
11
12 Let me try summarizing and dissecting this issue.
13 Please correct and extend where necessary.
16 Bike shedding versus "real issue"
17
18 - Issue itself might not be earth-shaking
19
20 - Repeated frustration can become a problem
21
22 - Frustration with this is present (me included)
23
24 - Happy developers stay much longer
27 People split into three groups:
28
29 - Friends of ${P}-fix-issue.patch naming
30
31 - Friends of ${PN}-fix-issue.patch naming
32
33 - Friends of ${PN}-1.2.3-fix-issue.patch naming
36 Qualities
37
38 - ${P} i.e. ${PN}-${PV}
39 - On version bump either ..
40 - Constant on version bump
41 - Several same-content patch files across ebuilds
42 - .. or ..
43 - Change to ${PN}-<pre-bump-version>
44 - Single patch file across ebuilds
45 - Maybe helps reminding most patches should
46 move from downstream to upstream?
47 - 1:1 patch-ebuild relation (see below)
48
49 - ${PN}
50 - Constant on version bump
51 - Single patch file across ebuilds
52 - Several ebuilds need to be inspected
53 to find out if a patch file is still used
54 - 1:1 patch-ebuild relation (see below)
55
56 - ${PN}-1.2.3
57 - Constant on version bump
58 - Single patch file across ebuilds
59 - Several ebuilds need to be inspected
60 to find out if a patch file is still used
61 - <=${PV} values indicate things: either
62 - the patch is downstream only
63 - upstream has not applied it
64 - 1:n patch-ebuild relation
65 (inverse qualities of 1:1 patch-ebuild
66 relation, see below)
69 - 1:1 patch-ebuild relation
70 - Finding out if a patch is still needed
71 is trivial
72 - In-place patch updates possible without
73 affecting other ebuilds
74 - 1:1 benefits only apply if ${P} is used
75 consistently in the whole tree
78 Possible solutions
79
80 - *Communicating* your likes to all co-maintainers
81 in hope the will respect and remember your agreement
82
83 - Add a related local comment (*documenting*) to ebuilds
84 and expect other developers to act accordingly on a bump
85
86 - Making a GLEP *enforcing* on of these and make people
87 vote on which
91 Sebastian