From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Possibility of overriding user defined INSTALL_MASK from an ebuild?
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:31:53
1 On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2 > I completely agree using INSTALL_MASK is 100% responsibility of the user
3 > setting it, it's like blind 'rm -f', but some people
4 > don't agree and keep attacking me.
5 > I'm using the word attacking because it's constant, relentless,
6 > repeating and I don't see an end to it. I believe Poly-C just
7 > proofed that point in this thread.
10 Honestly, that is a problem in need of a non-technical solution.
11
12 The purpose of INSTALL_MASK is for users to tell portage, "I know what
13 I'm doing, don't mess with this path." Portage should do as it is
14 told. If the user doesn't know what they're doing, they get to keep
15 the pieces. If somebody gives you a hard time about it, there are
16 solutions for that.
17
18 I think using INSTALL_MASK to kill a few inodes that probably don't
19 even have extents using a sledgehammer to kill a fly, and if you put
20 some holes in your walls in the process I_TOLD_YOU_SO. However, I
21 won't tell people they can't do it if they want to. It has a lot of
22 uses I'd consider more productive in setting up embedded systems and
23 such, and in those cases having a war of escalation with overrides on
24 top of overrides is just a PITA.
25
26 Honestly, if we were going to do all this, the people annoyed by
27 systemd units will just apply the override, and you'll be right back
28 where you are now.
29
30 So, regardless of where you fall on the debates around FHS, install of
31 units without use flag, and so on, I don't think changing how
32 INSTALL_MASK works really makes sense.
33
34 By all means we can continue those debates and get Council votes where
35 appropriate.
36
37 Rich