From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to raise money for Gentoo
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 14:55:42
1 On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> wbrana wrote:
6 >>>>> Page www.gentoo.org asks for donations
7 >>>>> "Donate to support our development efforts."
8 >>>>> Gentoo could get more money if all *.gentoo.org would contain advertisements.
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>>
13 >>>> My questions are this: Does Gentoo need more money? Is it in need of
14 >>>> more funds to support itself?
15 >>>
16 >>> On a yearly basis, we take in more money than we spend. We primarily
17 >>> spend money on fees (legal, accountant, etc) and funding requests
18 >>> (infra hardware, requests from foundation members.)
19 >>>
20 >>> Its all on http://foundation.gentoo.org if you are curious. The 2011
21 >>> report notes that we have approximately $70,000 USD in funds. Some
22 >>> Gentoo developers want to do more conference-type events. However
23 >>> those typically come with much higher budgets than our funds and
24 >>> require sponsors to make happen. Without clearer goals on what to
25 >>> spend the money on, I can't really see the need to increase our
26 >>> advertising.
27 >>
28 >> Could some of the money be spent on bug bounties?
29 >
30 > You want gentoo-nfp@, not this list. I'm trying to move the discussion
31 > there. Go visit the foundation webpages I linked to earlier. Funding
32 > requests are pretty easy to write...
33
34 kk. I'll stop adding noise to this list on this topic. :)
37 :wq