From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to raise money for Gentoo
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 14:44:47
1 On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> wbrana wrote:
5 >>>> Page www.gentoo.org asks for donations
6 >>>> "Donate to support our development efforts."
7 >>>> Gentoo could get more money if all *.gentoo.org would contain advertisements.
8 >>>>
9 >>>>
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>> My questions are this: Does Gentoo need more money? Is it in need of
13 >>> more funds to support itself?
14 >>
15 >> On a yearly basis, we take in more money than we spend. We primarily
16 >> spend money on fees (legal, accountant, etc) and funding requests
17 >> (infra hardware, requests from foundation members.)
18 >>
19 >> Its all on http://foundation.gentoo.org if you are curious. The 2011
20 >> report notes that we have approximately $70,000 USD in funds. Some
21 >> Gentoo developers want to do more conference-type events. However
22 >> those typically come with much higher budgets than our funds and
23 >> require sponsors to make happen. Without clearer goals on what to
24 >> spend the money on, I can't really see the need to increase our
25 >> advertising.
26 >
27 > Could some of the money be spent on bug bounties?
28
29 You want gentoo-nfp@, not this list. I'm trying to move the discussion
30 there. Go visit the foundation webpages I linked to earlier. Funding
31 requests are pretty easy to write...
32
33 -A
36 > [snip]