From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to raise money for Gentoo
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 14:36:18
1 On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> wbrana wrote:
4 >>> Page www.gentoo.org asks for donations
5 >>> "Donate to support our development efforts."
6 >>> Gentoo could get more money if all *.gentoo.org would contain advertisements.
7 >>>
8 >>>
11 >> My questions are this: Does Gentoo need more money? Is it in need of
12 >> more funds to support itself?
13 >
14 > On a yearly basis, we take in more money than we spend. We primarily
15 > spend money on fees (legal, accountant, etc) and funding requests
16 > (infra hardware, requests from foundation members.)
17 >
18 > Its all on http://foundation.gentoo.org if you are curious. The 2011
19 > report notes that we have approximately $70,000 USD in funds. Some
20 > Gentoo developers want to do more conference-type events. However
21 > those typically come with much higher budgets than our funds and
22 > require sponsors to make happen. Without clearer goals on what to
23 > spend the money on, I can't really see the need to increase our
24 > advertising.
25
26 Could some of the money be spent on bug bounties?
27
28 [snip]
31 :wq