From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to raise money for Gentoo
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 14:30:42
1 On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > wbrana wrote:
3 >> Page www.gentoo.org asks for donations
4 >> "Donate to support our development efforts."
5 >> Gentoo could get more money if all *.gentoo.org would contain advertisements.
10 > My questions are this: Does Gentoo need more money? Is it in need of
11 > more funds to support itself?
12
13 On a yearly basis, we take in more money than we spend. We primarily
14 spend money on fees (legal, accountant, etc) and funding requests
15 (infra hardware, requests from foundation members.)
16
17 Its all on http://foundation.gentoo.org if you are curious. The 2011
18 report notes that we have approximately $70,000 USD in funds. Some
19 Gentoo developers want to do more conference-type events. However
20 those typically come with much higher budgets than our funds and
21 require sponsors to make happen. Without clearer goals on what to
22 spend the money on, I can't really see the need to increase our
23 advertising.
24
25 We primarily get money from Paypal and Google Summer of Code.
26
27 -A
30 > Dale
31 >
33 >
34 > --
35 > I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!