From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to raise money for Gentoo
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 18:32:16
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> wbrana wrote:
4 >>> Page www.gentoo.org asks for donations
5 >>> "Donate to support our development efforts."
6 >>> Gentoo could get more money if all *.gentoo.org would contain advertisements.
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >> My questions are this: Does Gentoo need more money? Is it in need of
11 >> more funds to support itself?
12 > On a yearly basis, we take in more money than we spend. We primarily
13 > spend money on fees (legal, accountant, etc) and funding requests
14 > (infra hardware, requests from foundation members.)
15 >
16 > Its all on http://foundation.gentoo.org if you are curious. The 2011
17 > report notes that we have approximately $70,000 USD in funds. Some
18 > Gentoo developers want to do more conference-type events. However
19 > those typically come with much higher budgets than our funds and
20 > require sponsors to make happen. Without clearer goals on what to
21 > spend the money on, I can't really see the need to increase our
22 > advertising.
23 >
24 > We primarily get money from Paypal and Google Summer of Code.
25 >
26 > -A
27 >
28 >> Dale
29 >>
30 >> :-) :-)
31 >>
32 >> --
33 >> I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
39 Thanks for the answer. If Gentoo ever gets to a point where it needs
40 funds to maintain itself, I would like a dev to post to the user mailing
41 list. I'm certain we could donate if we know there is a need. I
42 certainly would and I'm sure others would too.
43
44 Dale
45
49 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!