From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 08:04:44
1 On 08/07/2012 03:47 PM, Sylvain Alain wrote:
2 > Hi everyone, for a couple of months now, I see on the list some of
3 > activities about OpenRC been ported to FreeBSD or OpenRC to Debian and
4 > other stuff related to SystemD.
5 >
6 > I have some basic questions about all that :
7 >
8 > 2. I saw on some lists that Gnome/Kde and Xfce plan to use some SystemD
9 > API, so does it means that we will need to install SystemD aside of
10 > OpenRC ?
11
12 For Xfce it only means that xfce4-session will try to query credentials
13 also from systemd, not ConsoleKit alone
14
15 There are no plans of removing ConsoleKit support for Xfce wrt upstream
16 anytime soon since Xfce is committed for long-term BSD support, and the
17 Xfce development team includes developers, from eg. OpenBSD
18
19 > 4. Finally, is there any reason why Gnome/Kde/Xfce wants to add deps
20 > related to SystemD ? I don't understand why these desktops want to
21 > depend on a specific Sysint....
22
23 || ( sys-auth/consolekit sys-apps/systemd ) or something can be done if
24 the package tries to query both via DBUS calls
25 As in, something needs to tell PolicyKit (polkit) that you are a local
26 user and thus grant access to eg. USB removable devices