From: Evan Read <eread@×××××××××.org>
To: Jeremiah Mahler <jmahler@×××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, mpickers@××××××××××××.au
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] State of Developement
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 20:40:00
1 On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 11:01:02AM -0700, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
2
3 > > re: where to focus on, thats not my domain, however documentation is ALWAYS
4 > > appreciated (developers hate documenting things ;). As for the new ebuilds,
5 > > you can submit them to bugzilla, just dont expect them to be added to the
6 > > system before 1.4 is released.
7 > >
8 > Q: Can I help, can I help
9 > A: Sure, you can take out the trash and scrub the toilets.
10
11 And what the problem? If you don't like the way the developers dish out
12 duties on their OS, don't use it. Developing ebuilds that might make a
13 release that isn't coming out in the next month sounds generous to me.
16 > > > I havent checked, but is gentoo-core still closed?
17 > > yes, it is.
18 > >
19 > Ivory tower?
20
21 Their prerogative.
22
23 > As a user of Gentoo, I feel like a child whose parent has to double
24 > check everything I do. And in the same way that the child
25 > becomes frustrated with their parent because they place no trust
26 > in the child, I am frustrated with Gentoo because it places no
27 > trust in the users.
28
29 Maybe you should maintain a large collection of ebuilds outside of their
30 tree or maybe maintain your own stable branch of Gentoo to _build_ the
31 trust instead complaining that you can be trusted with no proof (I assume
32 what you have written here is all you have communicated to the
33 developers).
34
35 > Among all the distributions I am familiar with, Gentoo is,
36 > in my opinion, the best as far as placing trust in it's users.
37 > But Gentoo is also, in my opinion, far from what I imagine as ideal.
40 So they don't trust you, and they trust you? As far as I am concerned,
41 until you have CVS commit access, they don't trust you. But that is ok.
42 Because I implicitly trust them. Well, I am not sure I do, hence Gentoo
43 runs in VMWare for me). I want them to save me from myself. gentoo-core
44 can't break!
47 At the end of the day, it is their project. They ask you to submit bug
48 reports (with patches if you like) and to test. To do all the things a
49 developer does. They just tell you they would like to look at the quality
50 of your submissions before they are commited.
51
52 Why aren't you thanking God that is the case? You should be afraid to ask
53 for commit access on a source tree (which I assume gentoo-core would
54 imply).
55
56 Read this:
57 http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/01/31/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
60 Thanks.
63 Evan Read
64 http://eread.freeshell.org
65
66 "The future comes 60 minutes an hour no matter who you are or what you
67 do."
68 The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis