From: Jeremiah Mahler <jmahler@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] State of Developement
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:01:03
1 On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 06:52:19AM -0400, Preston A. Elder wrote:
2 >
3 > On Monday 26 August 2002 02:43 am, Paul wrote:
4 > > I have noticed that the numbers assigned to each of my
5 > > new bug reports has been advancing at such a high rate over time,
6 > > that I am given to wonder if the developers can keep up. My
7 > > ebuilds especially have seemed to languish lately.
8 > As more users (especially inexperienced and bug-happy ones) use gentoo, more
9 > bugs get raised, often times to be marked as duplicates or user error.
10 >
11 > As for the ebuilds languisihing longer, there are two reasons for this.
12 > First, we try to give bugs higher priority ... the whole 'clean up your house
13 > as is before taking in more mess', and
14 > Second, we're gearing up to release gentoo 1.4, which means theres basically
15 > no new packages being added to the tree unless we want to justify it to
16 > Daniel Robbins (which makes sense, you dont want to keep introducing more
17 > problems when your trying to stabalize a release).
18 >
19 And they have to go through a specific set of privileged people.
20
21 > > How are you guys doing? Do you have any areas that you
22 > > would like us to focus on? (eg. QA) I could squeeze out ebuilds
23 > > regularly, but I tend to wait on those in the pipeline.
24 > re: where to focus on, thats not my domain, however documentation is ALWAYS
25 > appreciated (developers hate documenting things ;). As for the new ebuilds,
26 > you can submit them to bugzilla, just dont expect them to be added to the
27 > system before 1.4 is released.
28 >
29 Q: Can I help, can I help
30 A: Sure, you can take out the trash and scrub the toilets.
31
32 > > I havent checked, but is gentoo-core still closed?
33 > yes, it is.
34 >
35 Ivory tower?
36
37 > - --
38 > PreZ
39 > Developer
40 > Gentoo Technologies
41 > http://www.gentoo.org
44 As a user of Gentoo, I feel like a child whose parent has to double
45 check everything I do. And in the same way that the child
46 becomes frustrated with their parent because they place no trust
47 in the child, I am frustrated with Gentoo because it places no
48 trust in the users.
49
50 Among all the distributions I am familiar with, Gentoo is,
51 in my opinion, the best as far as placing trust in it's users.
52 But Gentoo is also, in my opinion, far from what I imagine as ideal.
55 Jeremiah Mahler
56 <jmahler@×××××××.net>