From: Grant Goodyear <grant@×××××××××××××.org>
To: Jeremiah Mahler <jmahler@×××××××.net>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] State of Developement
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:28:57
1 > And they have to go through a specific set of privileged people.
2
3 True, although to the best of my knowledge all distributions have
4 a similar system. I don't think it will ever make sense to
5 provide CVS write access to all users; it's simply too easy to
6 mess things up. Goodness knows that our developers regularly
7 manage to render Gentoo uninstallable, and they're trying very
8 hard not to do that. Our system isn't perfect, but I'm not sure
9 what would be better.
10
11 > Q: Can I help, can I help
12 > A: Sure, you can take out the trash and scrub the toilets.
13
14 Well, right now that's pretty much what the developers are doing,
15 too. Our biggest need for help right now is good bug reports and
16 help with existing bugs. The only major "development" that is
17 ocurring right now is portage and some people starting to work on
18 a sensible installer. Everything else is really bug fixing of
19 one sort or another.
20
21 > > > I havent checked, but is gentoo-core still closed?
22 > > yes, it is.
23 > >
24 > Ivory tower?
25
26 The original rationale for closing gentoo-core was that it allowed
27 developers a chance to propose wacky ideas (and get shot down)
28 with minimal embarrassment (and without generating a flood of
29 "hey, some dev wants to do _this_!) posts on the mailing lists
30 and forums. I don't particularly have an objection to gentoo-core
31 being made read-only. I certainly think it would be an improvement from
32 a PR standpoint. At the same time, I could also see how making the
33 list truly public might cut down on the number of "hey, some unnamed devs
34 have been doing _this_, and it really has to stop!" messages that need
35 to be sent but might not be if everybody gets to read our "dirty
36 laundry", so to speak (and mix metaphors).
37
38 > As a user of Gentoo, I feel like a child whose parent has to double
39 > check everything I do. And in the same way that the child
40 > becomes frustrated with their parent because they place no trust
41 > in the child, I am frustrated with Gentoo because it places no
42 > trust in the users.
43
44 That's an interesting argument, because I would still argue that
45 other than Linux From Scratch, Gentoo provides users with more
46 flexibility than does any other distribution. If you want to
47 play with a masked ebuild, unmask it. If you want an ebuild
48 that has been languishing on bugzilla for a while, download it
49 and emerge it (or write it, if that's necessary). If you want
50 to be a developer, start fixing bugs on bugzilla and make your
51 good work known. If nobody gets around to inviting you to be
52 a developer, e-mail me and tell me what you've been doing, and
53 I'll look into it and get back to you. I'm pretty sure that
54 nobody is actually trying to be rude, but we all are quite
55 definitely overworked.
56
57 > Among all the distributions I am familiar with, Gentoo is,
58 > in my opinion, the best as far as placing trust in it's users.
59 > But Gentoo is also, in my opinion, far from what I imagine as ideal.
60
61 Fair enough. If you have additional ideas on how we can trust our
62 users better, please do post on bugzilla.
63
64 -g2boojum-
65 --
66 Grant Goodyear The Secrets of Physics:
67 Dept. of Chemistry 1. Add zero.
68 Clemson University 2. Multiply by one.
69 Clemson, SC 29617 3. Expand in a Taylor series
70 e-mail: grant@×××××××××××××.org 4. Integrate by parts.
71 http://www.grantgoodyear.org 5. Fourier transform.