From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] State of Developement
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:24:46
1 Hi Grant, Jeremiah
2
3 On Monday 26 August 2002 12:28, Grant Goodyear wrote:
4 > > And they have to go through a specific set of privileged people.
5 >
6 > True, although to the best of my knowledge all distributions have
7 > a similar system. I don't think it will ever make sense to
8 > provide CVS write access to all users; it's simply too easy to
9 > mess things up. Goodness knows that our developers regularly
10 > manage to render Gentoo uninstallable, and they're trying very
11 > hard not to do that. Our system isn't perfect, but I'm not sure
12 > what would be better.
13 Jeremiah: yup, above is quite to the point. I'd second all that Grant has
14 said. However there is some hope for more general user involvment. Please
15 read below...
16
17 > > Q: Can I help, can I help
18 > > A: Sure, you can take out the trash and scrub the toilets.
19 >
20 > Well, right now that's pretty much what the developers are doing,
21 > too. Our biggest need for help right now is good bug reports and
22 > help with existing bugs. The only major "development" that is
23 > ocurring right now is portage and some people starting to work on
24 > a sensible installer. Everything else is really bug fixing of
25 > one sort or another.
26 This is quite true, core developers spend large portion of their time "taking
27 out the trash". However I am afraid that we are pretty stuck in this mode the
28 way things are now. The problem is: these bugs are mostly not ours, but
29 rahter due to ignorance/weirdness/etc of upstream stuff, I mean here original
30 authors of the packages. It would be a life in heaven if everything installed
31 via "./configure && make && make install". All packages would compile on any
32 arch and glibc/gcc version and no weir dependencies were lost in docs and
33 nothing would conflict... Well, you get the idea. Unfortunately this is our
34 imperfect word where everything tends to break and noticeable portion of bugs
35 require getting in touch with package authors or figuring out just what
36 build/configuration changes were implemented in this new revision?
37 Things will get better when we release 1.4, however I am afraid not by
38 much.
39
40 The point I am getting at here is that we should and can allow our users to
41 take care of a large portion of non-crytical packages. What we need is:
42 1. Multiple stability levels or KEYWORDS
43 2. Streamlined ebuild processing - that automates submission of new
44 ebuilds/versions and assigns them some kind of "new" or "user-test"
45 keyword/level
46 3.Feedback system that collects user voices and moves ebuilds to corresponding
47 categories increasing or decreasing their stability rating.
48 4. Core group oversees and takes care of the core/crytical stuff and has
49 *much* more time to work onportage/sysinit/other_more_distro_specifc_stuff
50 Well, that would be one possible point of view on this :).
51
52 Please take a look at bug#1523 for much more details (though bear in mind that
53 some of that stuff is outdated by now).
54
55 > > Among all the distributions I am familiar with, Gentoo is,
56 > > in my opinion, the best as far as placing trust in it's users.
57 > > But Gentoo is also, in my opinion, far from what I imagine as ideal.
58 >
59 > Fair enough. If you have additional ideas on how we can trust our
60 > users better, please do post on bugzilla.
61 That's what I did over half a year ago. Since then I got involved in gentoo
62 more than I imagined :).
63
64 So, the situation can (and I think should) be changed to give even more
65 freedom to our users (and take some stress off core group simultaneously ;)).
66 However as any change this takes time, especially with a large evolving
67 system which gentoo became. At present we are near completion of step 1 in
68 that partial list above (I mean here the KEYWORDS that we were so busy
69 adding. As things settle down we will switch to this new masking mechanism
70 and get even some more functionality into. At least this was the plan
71 according to discussions/announcements over past few month). Eventually I
72 hope we will get some more issues resolved and will be offering:
73 1. multitude of profiles (not just arch/gcc specific but tailored to certain
74 tasks: such as server vs desktop, etc.)
75 2. partial [portage tree] database checkout (according to profile or stability
76 setting)
77 3. streamlined/user_managed ebuild submissions (for non-crytical stuff)
78 4. anything else?
79
80 And it all takes quite some work, so any help is appreciated; but then any
81 exciting project has a lot of routine associated with it.
82
83 George