From: Evan Read <eread@×××××××××.org>
To: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, mpickers@××××××××××××.au
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] State of Developement
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 21:12:42
1 On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 03:24:40PM -0700, George Shapovalov wrote:
2
3 <snip>
4
5 > The point I am getting at here is that we should and can allow our users to
6 > take care of a large portion of non-crytical packages. What we need is:
7 > 1. Multiple stability levels or KEYWORDS
8 > 2. Streamlined ebuild processing - that automates submission of new
9 > ebuilds/versions and assigns them some kind of "new" or "user-test"
10 > keyword/level
11 > 3.Feedback system that collects user voices and moves ebuilds to corresponding
12 > categories increasing or decreasing their stability rating.
13 > 4. Core group oversees and takes care of the core/crytical stuff and has
14 > *much* more time to work onportage/sysinit/other_more_distro_specifc_stuff
15 > Well, that would be one possible point of view on this :).
16
17 Keywords, hey? So I could track a stable tree that doesn't change so much
18 and doesn't break? Is this coming with 1.4?
19
20 > 1. multitude of profiles (not just arch/gcc specific but tailored to certain
21 > tasks: such as server vs desktop, etc.)
22
23 Oh sweet ;) desktop+stable? ;)
24
25 > And it all takes quite some work, so any help is appreciated; but then any
26 > exciting project has a lot of routine associated with it.
27
28 This sounds good George. I have been evaluating Gentoo of the last few
29 days and I keep coming back to "it needs a stable tree". I really hate
30 breakages. I would prolly be willing to test new stuff in VMWare or UML,
31 but not my main system.
32
33 I think that having different, trackable releases would be a turning point
34 for the distribution. It could become useful for production.
37 p.s. Is there a page that lists new stuff coming in 1.4?
38
39 Thanks!
42 Evan Read
43 http://eread.freeshell.org
44
45 "The future comes 60 minutes an hour no matter who you are or what you
46 do."
47 The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis