From: Robert Poole <lionlad@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Brand new install, some problems
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 01:10:16
1 There were two issues that came up when attempting a fresh install of
2 Gentoo:
3
4 (1) The Gentoo x86 install instructions indicated that toward the end of
5 the installation process, I should execute "etc-update" to update
6 scripts. This turned out to be not in the standard path, and in fact,
7 when I did dig through the file system and attempted to execute this
8 from where it resided, the script threw quite a few errors before
9 exiting (and logging me out!).
10 Is this script obsolete?
11
12 (2) The Desktop Configuration Guide talks about doing an "emerge
13 --pretend kde" to install kde and X. However, executing this command
14 results in a complaint of circular dependencies. (Before you ask, yes,
15 I did an "emerge sync" to make sure I was up to date.) I attempted to
16 run "emerge kde," thinking that the --pretend option was perhaps causing
17 some issues, but no... the circular dependency problem was there,
18 still. I should note that "emerge --pretend gnome" seems to run just
19 fine, there are no dependency problems.
20
21 How do I get rid of this circular dependency issue?
22
23 FYI, I installed from the stage 3 ISO cdrom image.
24
25 Thank you for creating a fabulous Linux distribution! If I can get
26 these last few things figured out, I think I may stick with Gentoo on my
27 home PC.
28
29 Sincerely,
30 Robert Poole