From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel team: please make up your mind
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:56:08
1 On Friday 09 July 2004 07:39 pm, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Because we don't have to? That sounds flip, but I don't really mean it
3 > that way. I use a 2.6 kernel and udev myself, even on my work machines,
4 > and I'm happy to encourage others to do the same, but I've always been
5 > proud of the fact that we're pretty agnostic about the kernel; the user
6 > is free to install 2.4, 2.6, or even 2.2, and the process is exactly the
7 > same for each.
8
9 agreed ... while i'd love everyone to use 2.6, i'm not about to go around
10 forcing everyone to install it (which is what we'd be doing)
11
12 > (I'm rather surprised that we have a 2.0 kernel, since I
13 > didn't think it could be compiled w/ a modern version of gcc, but I'm
14 > assuming that it can since it's in the tree.)
15
16 who knows ... it's in there because a few users requested it ;)
17 -mike
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list