From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel team: please make up your mind
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:40:35
1 Greg KH wrote: [Fri Jul 09 2004, 07:08:07PM EDT]
2 > And we need to shake out any bugs that 2.6 might cause people, other
3 > distros have already switched, why not gentoo also?
4
5 Because we don't have to? That sounds flip, but I don't really mean it
6 that way. I use a 2.6 kernel and udev myself, even on my work machines,
7 and I'm happy to encourage others to do the same, but I've always been
8 proud of the fact that we're pretty agnostic about the kernel; the user
9 is free to install 2.4, 2.6, or even 2.2, and the process is exactly the
10 same for each. (I'm rather surprised that we have a 2.0 kernel, since I
11 didn't think it could be compiled w/ a modern version of gcc, but I'm
12 assuming that it can since it's in the tree.) I believe that such
13 functional flexibility really does make us better than the average
14 distro (Boo Boo).
15
16 My thoughts, for whatever they're worth.
17
18 -g2boojum-
19 --
20 Grant Goodyear
21 Gentoo Developer
22 g2boojum@g.o
23 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
24 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76