From: R Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (Was: Getting Important Updates To Users)
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 19:36:46
1 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2
3 > I seem to be repeating myself... What's an example of repository-specific
4 > non-package-specific news? Why does `emerge --changelog` not suffice for
5 > package-specific news?
6
7 a) maintainers don't put important news in their changelogs.
8
9 there are a few exceptions. gregkh's udev bumps, for example, always
10 come with an explanation of what changes have been made and what to
11 watch out for. but mostly all the info you're going to get is "Version
12 bump.", if that.
13
14 b) there's no way to separate the wheat from the chaff.
15
16 while i could (and usually do) emerge every update with -l, it's not
17 something anyone with a life would do. the signal to noise ratio is
18 very low, and not many people are going to go through reading the
19 changelogs for every package on the odd chance that there might be some
20 important nugget of info they need to know. combine this with a) and
21 you'd have better luck playing the lottery than getting pertinent
22 information that specifically applies to you.
23
24 c) it's a passive system
25
26 the user has to actually make an effort to retrieve this news. we
27 _already_ have a number of different sources that they could be getting
28 important info from. another is not what's needed. what we're looking
29 for is a proactive solution where the news is dropped at their feet
30 below a bigass neon arrow saying READ ME.
31
32 d) news isn't necessarily package-based.
33
34 news items could be based on a user's profile, language preference,
35 architecture, USE flags, etc. there could also be general news to the
36 entire community about global changes in Gentoo.
39 --de.
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list