From: "Sami Näätänen" <sn.ml@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (Was: Getting Important Updates To Users)
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 08:28:05
1 On Friday 04 November 2005 03:10, Nathan L. Adams wrote:
2 > Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 14:51 -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > >>Did you specifically ask them if it is because we have different
5 > >> news in different locations? Somehow I think you're obscuring
6 > >> some facts to make your own argument.
7 > >
8 > > That seems an unpleasant accusation to make :(
9 > >
10 > > The answer is that I didn't ask them if it was because we have
11 > > different news in different locations. The question didn't occur
12 > > to me.
13 > >
14 > >>The only problem that we have now with our multiple mediums is that
15 > >> not all news is on all mediums. We should have the same
16 > >> information going to all of these and let the user choose which
17 > >> method they like for getting news.
18 > >
19 > > The critical difference between improving our existing mediums, and
20 > > the emerge --news approach that I've proposed, is that emerge
21 > > --news is the only approach that actively pushes news out to *all*
22 > > users, and puts it in a place that is as guaranteed as anything
23 > > else available to catch their attention.
24 > >
25 > > All the other approaches rely on the user going somewhere to get
26 > > news, whether it's signing up to a mailing list, reading www.g.o,
27 > > reading the forums, or whatever. Inevitably, this is only going to
28 > > reach a smaller subsection of our user community.
29 > >
30 > > What I care about is that we've taken the right steps to put
31 > > important information in front of *all* of our users (and our
32 > > devs!). Even (especially?) the ones who are unable to keep up with
33 > > the news as it is currently delivered.
34 > >
35 > > Making sure our users are well-informed improves the level and
36 > > quality of service that we provide; it can only enhance our
37 > > reputation; and it should also cut down on the amount of developer
38 > > time that goes into post-upgrade support (leaving more time for
39 > > package maintenance).
40 >
41 > One source: http://errata.gentoo.org/
42 >
43 > Push that out to as many alternate sources as you like (RSS feeds,
44 > summaries in emerge --news, forums post, etc.), but make it known
45 > that the website is *the* source (your alternate sources should point
46 > back to it).
47
48 Well I don't like web so much for this kind of things, so fails me.
49 I want the info where I need it. I don't have network access from all
50 the machines I admin. So the best possible repository for the news is
51 with the tree, because that is allways required.
52 And because Gentoo has the control over the tree it is very trivial and
53 secure way to spread the news.
54 --
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list