From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Circular dependencies
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 05:42:05
1 On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 00:39, Paul Smith wrote:
2 > I'm sure people have run into this issue before, somewhere: I'm
3 > wondering if there are any recommended ways of handling this.
4 >
5 > I have some packages which all depend on each other, such that you can't
6 > build and install one of them entirely before the other two. The real
7 > order is the headers from one package need to be installed, then the
8 > libraries from the other two are installed, then finally all the
9 > programs are built and installed.
10 >
11 > I can only come up with two ways to manage this: one is to get the
12 > upstream folks to break out their packages differently so that the
13 > circular dependency is broken, and I don't think this can be done.
16 > The other is to create a single ebuild that installs all three packages
17 > at the same time: then I can override the compile and install commands
18 > to DTRT in the right order.
19 >
20 > These seems like an OK solution, until you try to think about how to
21 > version this unified ebuild: each of the three packages has a distinct
22 > version number. I don't see any way to glom them all together that
23 > would actually work in practice.
26 > Anyone have any good ideas about how to manage this?
27
28 Get upstream to break package 1 into two packages. Failing this, do it
29 yourself. foo-headers and foo-core or something.
30
31 Thanks,
32 Donnie
33 --