From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: libressl@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Recap: Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 03:16:18
1 On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 9:50 PM Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 >
3 > Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > > > I think the three main ways forward from here would be to either:
5 > > > >
6 > > > > 1. Keep LibreSSL for indefinite time (possibly masked)
7 > > > > 2. Eventually move LibreSSL to libressl overlay.
8 > > > > 3. Eventually remove LibreSSL.
9 > > >
10 > > > 4. A libressl or libressl-libtls ebuild installs only libtls.
11 > >
12 > > dev-libs/libretls already does that.
13 >
14 > dev-libs/libretls doesn't install a libressl libtls.
15 >
16 > This thread is obviously about how the libressl implementation remains
17 > in use.
18 >
19 > It's clear now that you want to hinder that in Gentoo at any cost to
20 > the community, but that's not useful, so please take a step back unless
21 > you are actually going to be constructive.
22 >
23 > My proposition 4. (which I suggested already earlier - you shouldn't
24 > have ignored it) is obviously not about having any libtls provider in
25 > the tree, but to model reality accurately and ensure that libretls is
26 > the primary and prefered libtls provider, since it is literally the
27 > libtls upstream.
28 >
29 > It is important to me that you can choose dev-libs/libretls instead of
30 > having any libretls code on your systems, but I reject you forcing that
31 > choice of yours on everyone else.
32
33 I'm having trouble making sense of this sentence. Did you mean to
34 write "libressl" instead of "libretls" somewhere?
35
36 Anyway, it seems like the people maintaining libressl in Gentoo are
37 really not interested in keeping it going. A libtls wrapper around
38 openssl seems much more manageable to me, and that should probably be
39 the default option for people.